FULLY BOOKED !
South African Society of Physiotherapy – SASP
Paediatric Special Interest Group
‘A better understanding of Children with CP and similar neurodevelopmental conditions and principles to improve their
For the benefit of paediatric Therapists new or experienced (PT, OT, SLT) who wish to gain new knowledge and insights that open the opportunity to further develop excellent clinical reasoning and treatment skills, for the treatment of children with CP and similar neurodevelopmental conditions.
Join the founder of M.A.E.S Therapy, Jean-Pierre Maes MCSP for a live, thought-provoking, stimulating and interactive course on the introduction to Movement Analysis and Education Strategies Approach to treating children with Cerebral Palsy and other similar neurological conditions.
With this 2-Day Course, you will be introduced to M.A.E.S. Therapy and have an overview of the content that is developed during the 4-Week Foundation Course. You will gain an understanding of the clinical reasoning that defines the M.A.E.S. Approach.
Through the analysis of numerous videos of clients with various presentations, participants are guided in their understanding of:
- – The key mechanisms that will improve the child’s ability to learn and progress, whilst avoiding or delaying a plateau effect.
- – How it is possible to target where the problem originates i.e. improving the function of: Basal Ganglia for clients with Dyskinetic CP / White Matter for clients with PVL, …
- – Observe and analyse various therapeutic activities that improve the way the brain is functioning following an initial insult and subsequent reorganisation.
Dates: Monday 6 June & Tuesday 7 June 2022
Venue: Online, live and interactive via Zoom
Format: The course will include lectures and videos analysis of a variety of presentations of CP
Course Lead By: Jean-Pierre Maes MCSP, Founder & Director MAES Therapy International and M.A.E.S. Team
R2700 SASP SIG members (approx. £135 GBP)
R3300 SASP members (non SIG) (approx. £165 GBP)
R4320 Non members (approx. £216 GBP)
Course Participant Attendance:
Course Participants are aware that they must attend the 2 days in full. Part attendance is not allowed.
To introduce participants to:
- The MAES Therapy framework: a specific framework for identifying the relationship between skills and tasks and its critical relevance in understanding the reasons for atypical patterns of coordination for each child with Cerebral Palsy.
- An understanding of why missing skills has long-term consequences on the ability to participate in activities of everyday life (including mobility, self-care, play and communication).
- Appreciate the necessity of providing the child with a different path for development by acting on the primary cause of the limitation, rather than concentrating on targeting the visible symptoms.
- Understand the application of the MAES Therapy framework to develop individualised treatment strategies for each child.
- Understand the need for therapists to develop a wide repertoire of strategies to enable the child to develop a wider repertoire of ways to solve problems.
With this 2-Day Course, you will be introduced to M.A.E.S. Therapy and have an overview of the content that is developed during the 4-Week Foundation Course and gain an understanding of the clinical reasoning that defines the M.A.E.S. Approach.
To apply for a place or for further information please contact:
Shane Brassell, PT MAES Therapy & Paediatric NDT
M.A.E.S. Therapy SA Coordinator
T: 0027 (0)79 3167338
M.A.E.S. Therapy – a new and pioneering approach to the treatment and management of children with Cerebral Palsy and similar neurodevelopmental conditions. “M.A.E.S. Therapy is a completely different way of thinking and therapy approach compared to Bobath-NDT”.
A few Testimonials from participants of previous MAES Introduction Course Online:
“This type of course works over the internet
The new knowledge and insight I have gained is to focus and work on the primary problem – the brain and not just on the secondary consequences of joint, muscle, tone.
Now I have a new dimension. This is most comprehensive approach I’ve ever heard. Great! “M.R. Physiotherapist—“All together, this course was amazing.
Online is easier for us to organize around our job and private life and to be on the course.
The way MAES Therapy looks and treats children is all different. What we usually see is about physical tasks. M.A.E.S. thinks about the brain, what is not working and what is missing. Working not on a child’s problem but on the missing foundation. During the treatment, stop anticipation and use movement, position, and that physical component of the body to influence the brain.
I didn’t know what to expect, but I’m so happy to have been part of this.
I recommend this course to everybody, because they may have been on other courses and have knowledge, but this way of seeing, analysing and approach to working with children with CP is completely new. I can’t wait to learn more.”P.D. Physiotherapist—“M.A.E.S. Therapy – I would say it’s a must! It makes one understand that there is a lot more that we can do for our kids.
Online courses make it possible for people to participate in things that otherwise are not optional. Jean-Pierre did an amazing job of guiding the course, keeping everyone’s attention, challenging us to think and making us feel we were in the same room with him.
M.A.E.S came recommended. After doing many courses, (some better than others) I’ve learned not to expect too much, but to go in with an open mind. This course exceeded any possible expectation! It opened the door to a new level of approaching/helping/supporting/teaching children and their parents.
I’ve learned through professional and personal experience (my kid is an ex micro preemie, 24w GA) that one should never put boundaries on kids and underestimate the potential of child’s brain. This M.A.E.S. Course supports my experience and gave me a glance of endless possibilities in treatment not based on age or ability of children with cerebral palsy.”M.A. Physiotherapist—
The next M.A.E.S. Foundation Course in South Africa:
‘Movement Analysis & Education Strategies for the Treatment of Children
with Cerebral Palsy and similar neuro-developmental conditions’
Part 1: 31 October – 11 November 2022 Online
Part 2: 28 November – 9 December 2022 Face-to-Face